Summertime means slathering on some sunscreen and spending a day out on the beach. When you think of the beach, your mind probably goes further east to the Gulf Coast beaches in Florida and Alabama that are so popular in the warmer months, but for a truly special day, consider exploring one of Louisiana’s hidden beaches. Here are eight of our favorite hidden beaches in Louisiana you’ve got to visit this summer!
Exploring Louisiana is always an adventure, but there’s so much to see beyond our borders! Sign up for our Bucket List Newsletter to see must-visit destinations throughout the nation and inspire your travels, both near and far.
Aren’t you happy that you can stop Googling “hidden beaches near me?” Did we leave any of the best hidden beaches in Louisiana off of our list? Looking for other great spots to enjoy the outdoors? Check out our recent 7 Louisiana Natural Wonders You Need To Add To Your Outdoor Bucket List.
Hidden Beaches in Louisiana
April 03, 2022
What are some of the best Louisiana beaches to visit?
Louisiana is home to lots of beautiful beaches – not all of which are even attached to an ocean! In fact, many of our most beautiful beaches to visit in Louisiana are lakeside, such as:
- North Beach on Lake Charles. During the warmer months, you can expect all sorts of festivals and fun events on the beautiful, white sandy shores of the lake. Who says you need an ocean to have a beautiful shoreline?
- Lake Pontchartrain at Fontainebleau State Park, which is one of the largest lakes in Louisiana and is famous for its gorgeous, pristine sandy beaches.
- Rutherford Beach, which is a local favorite known for being delightfully dog and kid-friendly.
- Cypremort Point Beach, which is unique in the sense that it extends into Vermilion Bay as part of the adjacent state park. It’s popular for fishing and sunbathing.
What are the nicest secret beaches in Louisiana?
Okay, so, maybe there really isn’t a such thing as a “secret” beach in Louisiana, but we have a few that almost fit the description! For example:
- Claiborne State Park on the southern shore of Lake Claiborne. It feels like an amazing island getaway in the tropics instead of little ol’ Louisiana!
- South Toledo Bend State Park is amazing, too, and features a stunning lakeside beach often overlooked by visitors in favor of more well-known destinations. That one’s great for viewing bald eagles, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Holly Beach in Cameron. That one is wonderful for the sunset lover in your life, and it’s also a great place for hunting seashells.