Move over Flagstaff, Tucson and Sedona: Bisbee was just named one of the best places in the world to visit in 2024.
Travel Lemming is a website that promotes off-the-beaten-path and lesser-visited travel destinations worldwide. It ranked Bisbee at No. 42 on its list of 50 Best Places to Travel in 2024.
Bisbee offers “a more authentic Wild West experience within its defunct mines, museum and historic saloons,” Travel Lemming wrote in its ranking.
The town’s mountainside location and historic stairways adorned with street art enhance its charm, making Bisbee an appealing choice for travelers seeking an adventure in a place rich with history and scenic beauty, according to the ranking.
Here’s what Bisbee AZ is known for.
Is Bisbee AZ worth visiting?
Bisbee is steeped in mining history, with the famous Copper Queen Mine, and the town’s well-preserved historic architecture is charming. The town is a hub of arts and culture, featuring art galleries, studios and vibrant street art, creating a bohemian atmosphere.
Bisbee is renowned for its welcoming LGBTQ+ community and hosts an array of annual events, including the Bisbee Blues Festival and the Bisbee 1000 Stair Climb.
The town’s historic allure extends to ghostly tales and paranormal experiences such as a seance room, allowing visitors to delve into its spooky past.
Fourth of July in Bisbee:Barbecues, fireworks and a 109-year-old coaster race
How do you spend a day in Bisbee?
Bisbee, Arizona, offers a variety of historic sites, cultural attractions and fun things to do:
- Copper Queen Mine: Put on a slicker and a helmet and ride underground into the Copper Queen Mine for a fascinating glimpse into the town’s mining history. Learn about the challenges miners faced as you descend through the mine tunnel.
- Bisbee Mining & Historical Museum: This museum, a Smithsonian affiliate, showcases the history of mining in Bisbee, as well as the town’s cultural heritage.
- Downtown Bisbee: Stroll through the historic downtown streets lined with colorful historic buildings, art galleries, shops and restaurants.
- Bisbee 1000 Stair Climb: If you’re up for a physical challenge, consider participating in the Bisbee 1000 Stair Climb, an annual race that takes you up and down the town’s many staircases, providing stunning views along the way.
- Bisbee Seance Room: Take part in a seance and explore the town’s paranormal side.
Top places to travel in 2024
Here are a few more places Travel Lemming recommends visiting in 2024:
- Yucatán, Mexico.
- Memphis, Tennessee.
- Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Marseille, France.
- Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
- Oviedo, Spain.
- Guatapé, Colombia.
- Quincy, Massachusetts.
Got a story you want to share? Reach out at [email protected]. Follow @tiffsario on Instagram.
Support local journalism and subscribe to azcentral.com.